Friday, March 19, 2010

It's not THAT weird


I have a confession to make. I don't eat sugar. I must be crazy right? Actually no. For the majority of the last 9 years of my life I have tried my darndest to cut sugar from my diet. It's not for fun, and it's not because I don't like sugar. In fact, I have one of the sweetest sweet tooths you've ever encountered. I love chocolate and pie and cake. I especially love brownies because they encase chocolate in a delicious baked good. So, if I love sugar so much, you may wonder why I don't eat it. It gives me migraines. This seems very reasonable to me. People who have diabetes don't eat sugar and people don't think they are freaks. If something makes you sick you don't do it right? Right.

Surprisingly, not everyone shares this same opinion. Most the time when I tell someone that I don't eat sugar I get one of a few responses. The first is, "you don't eat what? Seriously?" The second is, "wait, you don't like sugar? That's weird..." The third most common (and admittedly my favorite) is, "You don't eat sugar?! I would DIE!!!!" Then people get weird around me like I'm a leper or something. I promise you won't catch sugar intolerance for me. This strange behavior reminds me of a Jim Gaffigan sketch that I love, love, love. The sketch is referring to people that don't drink alcohol, but I think it also applies to my situation. Enjoy.


1 comment:

Annie said...

"I don't want to bring the mayonnaise around you, you know, and tempt ya!" Haha! I'll try to keep my sugar hocking to a minimum around you, dear. My sugar-free ice cream bars are always available to you on Wednesday nights.