Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Payback's a...well you know.

Payback. Sometimes payback is a great thing. For example, when you get that nice tax return check...that's a great payback! However, the payback to which I am referring is not so pleasant. At my home, our oven timer doesn't just beep three or four times and then shut itself off. Once that timer starts going it won't stop until the cows come home...or until someone shuts it off. A few weeks ago we celebrated Pi day by baking nine pies. This took a while, and being a procrastinator I pushed a couple until right before the party. I made an apple pie that finished right before we left to go to a wedding reception and stake conference. There were only a few minutes left on the timer when we needed to leave, so I just turned off the oven and opened the door so the pie could cool while we were out. The one thing I forgot to shut off was the timer. We arrived home roughly three hours later and as we approached our door we heard an annoying beeping sound. That's right, our timer had been beeping the entire time we had been gone. Now for most timers this would be a minor inconvenience, but these timers are built like smoke alarms. They're loud and piercing and I'm surprised all our neighbors didn't break down our door to shut it off. Tonight as I was sitting on the couch I heard a familiar beeping sound coming from the neighbor's apartment. Their timer was going off. I guess they decided it was time for payback, because that baby kept going for over an hour. I wasn't too annoyed though. At least I didn't have to put up with it for three hours.

No comments: